SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN
Please review the “Eligibility Criteria” below.
James A. Mincy Independent Pharmacy Scholarship
This award, named in memory of James A. Mincy, a third generation independent pharmacist, recognizes a pharmacy student who has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, made contributions through volunteer work, participated in professional or student organizations and shown an interest in independent pharmacy. The scholarship award is $1000.
James B. and Patsey J. Powers Scholarship
This award was established in 1992 in honor of Mr. Powers’ achievements as the Florida Pharmacy Association executive vice president. In 2003, the Board of Trustees voted to include Patsey, his wife, for involvement in Florida Pharmacy Association affairs for more than 30 years. The award recognizes a pharmacy student who has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, made contributions through volunteer work and participated in professional or student organizations. The scholarship award is $1000.
Volusia-Flagler County Pharmacy Association Scholarship
The award, granted by the members of the Volusia-Flagler Pharmacy Association, is intended to assist a pharmacy student who resides in either Volusia or Flagler Counties and to recognize their outstanding academic achievement, contributions through volunteer work, and participation in professional or student organizations. The scholarship award is $1000.
For all Florida Pharmacy Foundation scholarships you must:
- Be enrolled as a student in one of the seven Florida Pharmacy Foundation schools.
- Achievement of a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Meet the specific requirements of each scholarship for which you apply. Note: certain scholarships have additional eligibility requirements.
- Be able to send an official (sealed) copy of your transcript to the Florida Pharmacy Foundation.
The Foundation is associated with these seven academic institutions.
Florida A&M University – University of Florida – Palm Beach Atlantic University – Nova Southeastern University
University of South Florida – Lake Erie College (LECOM) – Larkin Health Sciences Institute
Instructions for All Submissions
- Check the eligibility requirements for each scholarship.
- Complete the electronic application by clicking the “Apply Now” button. The application period begins November 9th, 2020.
- While completing the electronic application, you will have the opportunity to choose which scholarships you are applying for. Only one application per year is needed to apply to multiple scholarships.
- You may apply for a maximum of two (2) scholarships.
- If you are selected to receive a scholarship, and only after you have received official notification, you must send a hard copy of your official (sealed) transcript to validate your application to:
Florida Pharmacy Foundation
P.O. Box 266977
Weston, Florida 33326
- The deadline for submission is Friday, January 15, 2021 at 11:59 PM. If you are “selected to receive a scholarship”, Official Transcripts (sealed) to validate your application must be postmarked no later than one week, (7 working days) after you receive official notification. Transcripts sent past this date will not be accepted and your application will be subsequently voided.
2021 AWARD NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED
Nominated students will be notified and receive a candidate package to complete.
All completed candidate applications and transcripts are due by MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2021.
Alton Tower Philanthropy Award
This award, established by the Florida Pharmacy Foundation Board of Trustees, honors Alton Tower for a lifetime commitment of service to the pharmacy profession.
Alton has received the R.Q. Richards Award, The James H. Beal Pharmacist of the Year Award, The Sidney Simkowitz Pharmacist Involvement Award, Jean Lamberti Mentor Award, IPA Corrons Inspiration & Motivation Award, U.B. Willis Gregory Award, the Abilities Guild in Community Serving and the Bowl of Hygeia Award. He has also held leadership roles in many organizations including the Pinellas County Pharmacy Association, Florida Pharmacy Association, Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International and the American Pharmacists Association, and is currently serving as a trustee for the Florida Pharmacy Foundation.
The Alton Tower Philanthropy Award is given once a year at the Florida Pharmacy Association Annual Meeting where the recipient is recognized with an award and $500 to be presented to the winner’s charity/organization of choice.
Hamilton, Harris & Hobbs Student Presidential Award
This award, established in 2015 by Ed Hamilton, Betty Harris and Mark Hobbs for the purpose of advancing the profession of pharmacy on a local, state and national level, recognizes and celebrates the leadership of an APhA-ASP Student Chapter President in the state. The Hamilton, Harris & Hobbs Student Presidential Award is given once a year at the Florida Pharmacy Association Annual Meeting where the recipient is recognized with a $1,500 check and an award. Students are nominated by a leader.
Norman Tomaka & Family Community Service Award
This award, recently established by Norman Tomaka in honor of his mentor Alton Tower, recognizes and celebrates dedication to community leadership through service. The Norman Tomaka & Family Community Service Award is given once a year at the Florida Pharmacy Association Annual Meeting where the recipient is recognized with a $1,000 check and an award. Students are nominated by a leader.
Terry Gubbins Student Leadership Scholarship
The Terry Gubbins Student Leadership Award was established in 2014 by Terry to recognize a student with outstanding leadership qualities. The student must have demonstrated leadership through school activities, public service and community activities, as well as professional involvement; and has not been a past recipient of the Legislative Excellence Award. The Terry Gubbins Award is given once a year at the annual Legislative Days. The winner of the award receives public recognition for his/her accomplishments, a $1,000 check and an award.
John Davies Memorial Scholarship Fund
This award, established in 2016 by the Davies Family in memoriam of John Davies, former FPA President, recognizes and celebrates outstanding participation of a Florida Pharmacy Foundation Student Trustee. The John Davies Scholarship will be given once a year and the student trustee will be recognized with a $1,000 check.
Eligibility requirements for the awards:
- Students must be nominated by a leader in the pharmacy profession.
- Nominations are accepted beginning TUESDAY, December 1, 2020 and nominations end on, Friday, January 29, 2021.
- Nominated students will be notified and receive a candidate package to complete.
- All completed candidate applications are due by Monday, February 15, 2021.
- If you are chosen to receive an Award you must send a hard copy of your current official sealed transcript* to:
Florida Pharmacy Foundation
P.O. Box 266977
Weston, Florida 33326
*Transcripts for award applications are not required to be sent if you already sent one to the Foundation for your scholarship application.
Transcripts postmarked past deadline dates will not be accepted and your application will be subsequently voided.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Awards Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org. Nomination forms are available by contacting the Florida Pharmacy Foundation email@example.com